Hair

.                                 




    Today I buzzed my hair. Most of my hair had fallen out due to chemo but a buzz cut length of hair has already grown back. I had some longer pieces hanging on in the back. I always wore a wig or a hat whenever I saw other people. When I was home by myself, I did not wear a wig. I decided it was time to even out my hair to a buzz cut and go free without a wig. My hair has been an emotional and sometimes stressing part of my journey since my diagnosis. I was kind of used to seeing myself in the mirror without much hair, so this step to even my hair out to a buzz cut didn’t come as a big shock to me to see myself this way.


    The hair side of this journey has taught me more about beauty. Beauty is not simply how people look on the outside. This was something I knew in my head but has taken on new meaning for me as I have not chosen these changes my body has gone through. There is beauty in conversations, in thoughts, in actions, in personality, in how you show up for others. I have been learning on a new level how my people love me for who I am, not how I look. And I’m learning to love myself for that too. I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss my long, curly hair. But for now, I’ll continue learning to love this new look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rambling Reflections

Life as a Cancer Survivor in 2023

What’s Next? Anastrozole, Fragility, and Awkward Interactions