Cancer in Your 20s



    Being diagnosed with cancer is life-altering at any age. But being diagnosed with cancer in my 20s feels like I have been robbed. It feels like I have been robbed of my youth and all the energy and experiences that youth brings.


    After being diagnosed, several people encouraged me to continue with as much “normalcy” in life as possible. This pushed me to continue teaching, going on walks, and spending time with friends as much as I was able. I do feel like this was good for me. It helped me to not feel like I had been completely robbed of my life. Even though much had changed, it was good for me to see I could still do some of the things I enjoyed doing before I was diagnosed.


    Sometimes I feel like I’m living in this balance of not wanting cancer to keep me from living the life I want to live and understanding that cancer changes things. I have continued to see the importance of community in not feeling like cancer has robbed me of everything. Friends and family have adjusted their plans to accommodate me and find fun things that I CAN do. I am continuously grateful for all the support I have received. For people bringing meals. For people sending flowers, care packages, and letters. For people simply being present whether that’s physically or over the phone. For text messages checking in. For invitations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rambling Reflections

Life as a Cancer Survivor in 2023

What’s Next? Anastrozole, Fragility, and Awkward Interactions